1 thin and fit; "the spare figure of a marathon runner"; "a body kept trim by exercise" [syn: spare]
3 of places; characterized by order and neatness; free from disorder; "even the barn was shipshape"; "a trim little sailboat" [syn: shipshape, well-kept]
4 (of persons) neat and smart in appearance; "a clean-cut and well-bred young man"; "the trig corporal in his jaunty cap" [syn: clean-cut, trig]
5 severely simple in line or design; "a neat tailored suit"; "tailored curtains" [syn: tailored]
1 a state of arrangement or appearance; "in good trim" [syn: trimness]
2 a decoration or adornment on a garment; "the trimming on a hat"; "the trim on a shirt" [syn: trimming, passementerie]
3 attitude of an aircraft in flight when allowed to take its own orientation
1 remove the edges from and cut down to the desired size; "pare one's fingernails"; "trim the photograph"; "trim lumber" [syn: pare]
2 decorate, as with ornaments; "trim the christmas tree"; "trim a shop window"
3 cut down on; make a reduction in; "reduce your daily fat intake"; "The employer wants to cut back health benefits" [syn: reduce, cut down, cut back, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down]
4 balance in flight by regulating the control surfaces; "trim an airplane"
5 be in equilibrium during a flight; "The airplane trimmed"
7 cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of; "dress the plants in the garden" [syn: snip, clip, crop, lop, dress, prune, cut back]
8 cut closely; "trim my beard" [syn: shave]
9 adjust (sails on a ship) so that the wind is optimally used [also: trimming, trimmed, trimmest, trimmer]
- Rhymes: -ɪm
- to reduce slightly;
to cut; especially, to
- Place the screen material in the frame, secure it in place, and
trim the edges.
- The company trimmed jobs for the second time this year.
- Place the screen material in the frame, secure it in place, and trim the edges.
- to decorate or
adorn; especially, to
decorate a Christmas
- They traditionally trim the tree on Christmas Eve.
- transitive nautical To modify the angle of a vessel to the water by shifting cargo or ballast; to adjust for sailing; to assume, or cause a vessel to assume, a certain position, or trim, in the water. (FM 55-501).
- transitive nautical To modify the angle of a vessel's sails relative to the wind, especially to set the sails to the most advantageous angle.
- Finnish: koristella
to modify the angle of a ship relative to the water
- Finnish: tasapainottaa
to adjust sails
especially, decoration placed along edges or borders
- Paint the house white with blue trim.
- a haircut,
especially a moderate
one to touch
up an existing style
- I went to the hairdresser for a trim and came back nearly bald.
- getting laid; engaging in sexual intercourse
- the manner in which something is equipped or adorned; especially, of a
- The car comes in three different trims.
- The fore-and-aft angle of the vessel to the water, with reference to the cargo and ballast; the manner in which a vessel floats on the water, whether on an even keel or down by the head or stern
- The arrangement of the sails with reference to the wind.
the manner in sthg is equipped
the manner in which a vessel floats
- Finnish: tasapaino
arrangement of sails relative to the wind
- Finnish: trimmi
- In good order, properly managed or maintained.
- With sails well trimmed.
- More often used in combinations, eg, "trim-sailed".
The word trim can mean:
- To remove part or all of something:
- Book trimming, a part of the publishing process which involves trimming the pages of a book so they have even edges
- Trim (programming), also called "strip", a function to remove white space from the ends of a string
- In film editing, the process of shortening scenes by a few minutes, seconds, or even frames
- "Trim", slang for a pubic region with trimmed pubic hair
- In a lengthy electronic exchange (eg. Usenet), removing parts of the conversation that are no longer relevant -- see Posting style
- Decorate; examples include
- Trim a Christmas tree
- Casing (moulding), a kind of decorative molding (Molding (decorative))
- Trim package, a set of cosmetic (mostly non-functional) embellishments to a vehicle, such as an automobile
- Trim (sewing) for clothing and home decorating, is applied ornament such as gimp, passementarie, ribbon, or, as a verb, to apply such ornament
- Slang term for fit (ie. healthy):
- Trim trail, a special sort of trail that combines running with exercising
- In music and audio, the term used for sensitivity. Higher trim means that a greater magnitude of the audio waves are sampled.
- Trimming, the process of modifying parametric or polygonal surfaces in 3D computer graphics and CAD
- In stagecraft trim refers to a preset height at which a batten (theater) is used.
- Trim (rapper), a British grime MC
As an acronym
- Tidal, Residual, Inter-tidal Mudflat
- Tone Ringer Illuminated Model, a British telephone with a distinct ringing sound
- Trade-related Investment Measures, an agreement within the Uruguay Round trade negotiations
- Transfusion-related immunomodulation
- TRIM Context, a records management software product from TOWER Software
- Trim optimization, a set of techniques (algorithmic or heuristic or hybrid) to reduce the waste resulting from cutting an arbitrary set of demand rolls from a jumbo or master roll, in materials processing
- TRiM, Trauma Risk Management, is model of peer group traumatic stress management approved by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) within the UK and initially used by the Royal Marines
trim in Danish: Trim (flertydig)
trim in German: Trim
trim in Dutch: Trim
trim in Japanese: トリミング
Attic, Ciceronian, abbreviate, ability, abridge, abstain, abstract, adjoin, adjunct, adjustment, adorn, adornment, affix, all ataunto, anal, anchor, annex, apoise, apparel, arrange, arrangement, array, ataunt, athletic, attach, attire, bad condition, ballast, barber, be a timeserver, beat, beat all hollow, beat down, beat hollow, beautify, bedeck, bedizen, bedizenment, befringe, belay, best, bind, blazon, bob, boil down, border, bound, braw, break, break bulk, break out ballast, bungup and bilge-free, call down, capability, caparison, capsulize, cement, chaste, cheapen, chic, chipper, cinch, clamp, classic, classy, clean, clean up, clean-cut, clean-limbed, clear, clear for action, clear the decks, clear up, clinch, clip, clobber, clothes, clothes-conscious, clothing, coif, coiffure, color, color patterns, come down on, comely, commission, compact, competence, competency, compress, condense, condition, conk, contract, cop out, cosmopolitan, costume, cramp, crank, crank in, crisp, crop, cure, curtail, cut, cut back, cut down, cut off short, cut prices, cut short, dandify, dapper, dashing, deck, deck out, decline, decor, decorate, decoration, defeat, deflate, deploy, depreciate, destroy, devaluate, dinky, direct, dive, dizen, do in, dock, doll up, drapery, draw in, draw taut, dress, dress down, dress up, dressed to advantage, dressing, drub, duck the issue, duds, easy, edge, edging, elaboration, elegant, elide, embellish, embellishment, emblazon, emblazonment, emblazonry, embroider, embroidery, enframe, engraft, enrich, epitomize, evade, evade the issue, exquisite, fall, fall in price, fashion, fasten, fatigues, feathers, fettle, fig, fig out, finished, fit, fitness, fittedness, fix, fix up, flax, flourish, flower arrangement, foreshorten, form, frame, frill, fringe, furbish, furniture arrangement, garb, garments, garnish, garnishment, garniture, gear, genteel, get ready, give a dressing-down, give it to, give way, good condition, grace, graceful, gracile, graft, grapple, groom, guise, gussy up, habiliment, habit, health, hem, hide, hors de combat, illumination, in trim, investiture, investment, jaunty, jew down, jump all over, jump on, kilter, knit, lambaste, lap, larrup, lather, leather, lick, limpid, line, linen, list, lower, lucid, make arrangements, make fast, make preparations, make ready, march, marge, margin, marginate, mark down, marshal, mastery, maturity, mobilize, moor, mow, natty, natural, neat, neaten, nifty, nip, nobby, nose-dive, order, orderly, ornament, ornamentation, outclass, outdo, outfight, outgeneral, outmaneuver, outpoint, outrun, outsail, outshine, paddle, paint, pare, pellucid, perspicuous, piping, plain, plan, plummet, plunge, police, police up, polished, poll, pollard, pompadour, posh, prank, prank up, prearrange, preen, prep, prepare, preparedness, pretreat, prettify, primp, primp up, prink, prink up, process, proficiency, provide, prune, pull in, pure, purfle, purl, put, put in shape, put in trim, put to, qualification, rags, raiment, readiness, ready, ready up, reap, recap, recapitulate, recherche, redecorate, redo, reduce, reel, reel in, refined, refurbish, repair, restrained, retrench, rickrack, rim, ripeness, ritzy, robes, round, ruin, sag, screw up, seasoning, secure, set, set off, set out, set to, settle, settle preliminaries, shape, shapely, sharp, shave, shear, shellac, shift ballast, shingle, shipshape, shoot ballast, shorten, side, simple, sit it out, skin, skin alive, skirt, skive, slash, sleek, slender, slick, slim, slump, smart, smarten, smarten up, smear, smother, smug, snazzy, snip, snub, snug, soigne, soignee, sophisticated, speak to, spick and span, spick-and-span, spiffy, sportswear, spruce, spruce up, stand neuter, state, statuesque, straddle, straighten up, straightforward, streamlined, stunt, style, style-conscious, suitability, suitableness, suitedness, sum up, summarize, swank, swanky, swell, symmetrical, synopsize, tackle, take in, talk to, tan, tasteful, taut, tauten, telescope, tell off, tempering, temporize, terse, thrash, threads, tidy, tidy up, tight, tighten, titivate, togs, toilette, treat, trice up, trick out, trick up, tricksy, trig, trig up, trim ship, trim up, trimming, triumph over, trounce, truncate, try out, unaffected, uncluttered, undo, unlabored, verge, vestment, vesture, wallop, wave, wear, wearing apparel, well-cared-for, well-dressed, well-favored, well-formed, well-groomed, well-made, well-ordered, well-proportioned, well-shaped, welt, whack, whale, whip, winch, wind in, windlass, window dressing, wing out ballast, worst